Share This Article
250 Years ago, on March 29th, 10 hogsheads of rum and other supplies were shipped to Sudbury to reduce the concentration of stores in Concord. Here is the story from Shattuck’s History of Concord*
“On the 29th of March a report was circulated that the British troops were coming to Concord, which produced considerable alarm. The Provincial Committee of Safety met here on the 1st, 5th, 14th, and 17th of April. At the last date they directed Colonel Barrett to mount two cannon, and raise an artillery company, and to send four cannon to Groton and two to Acton. They met at Mr. Wetherbee’s in West Cambridge the next day, and gave orders for the removal of some of the stores from Concord. These were ordered to be deposited in 9 different towns ; 50 barrels of beef, 100 of flour, 20 casks of rice, 15 hogsheads of molasses, 10 hogsheads of rum, and 500 pounds of candles were ordered to Sudbury; 15,000 canteens, 1500 iron pots, the spades, pickaxes, bill-hooks, axes, hatchets, crows, wheelbarrows, and several other articles, were to be divided, —one third to remain in Concord, one-third to be sent to Sudbury, and one third to Stow; 1000 iron pots to be sent to Worcester.”
*Full title: A history of the town of Concord, Middlesex County, Massachusetts : from its earliest settlement to 1832; and of the adjoining towns, Bedford, Acton, Lincoln, and Carlisle; containing various notices of county and state history not before published.
by Shattuck, Lemuel, 1793-1859
Publication date 1835